Thursday, May 20, 2010

I want to be a labor & delivery nurse

Today was my very first day ever in the labor and delivery unit. It is the third week of my 5th semester of nursing school (Obstetrics & Pediatrics) and I have been loving every second of it. Even before going to the hospital, I have enjoyed going to lecture because I love everything I am learning. Let's be honest, OB is not just for people that want to work in the unit, but hello I want to be a mother and everything I am learning I can apply to my life :D When I arrived to the unit, my patient was dilated to 6 cm 80% effaced & at -2. And from there everything sped up! I was the official "stirrup". Seriously - I was a stirrup. No seriously, I was in charge of holding a leg up - so I was a human stirrup. Therefore, I was right there - front row & in on all the action. This was the first birth I had ever seen. It was amazing. Birth is such an amazing process and babies are the most beautiful thing in the whole world. I would have to say that today was my most favorite ever day in clinicals. I ended up seeing two NSVDs and even a C-section. I was there for a lactation consult and got to watch the baby care done by the nursery nurses. Today was also a trial of a very bad habit - selfishness. I couldn't, nor did I have the time, to hold all the babies. It was very hard because all I could think about was wanting to hold those precious little babies. Now I finally know what I want to be when I grow up. Labor & delivery/nursery/NICU nurse. I'd probably take any of those three. Just please let me work with babies :D

10 comments:

Heidi McLeod said...

you will be such a great nurse and you are great with babies!!!

Jennifer Karyn said...

That is awesome! I'm jealous I've seen 3 births and they are amazing!!

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

will you be my stirrup?

hahahaha I kid.

but really, I'm super jealous!

Deanna said...

of course you do.

Anonymous said...

chelsey! thats amazing!! im so happy for you! I used to want to be a labor and delivery nurse too! i did a lot of nursing shadowing at southwest in vancouver in the labor and delivery unit, it was AMAZING! thats awesome! you would be the nicest, cutest, FUNNEST nurse to have!

Evan and Amber said...

my sister LOVED her baby's nicu nurses (not so much the delivery ones though;)

The Chamberlain Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Chamberlain Family said...

You would be so great at that Chelsey! I could never be the nurse, but I would love to be in the nursery taking care of the babies!

cHelsEy N mOrgAN said...

THANKS EVERYONE! and yes of course tara i will be your stirrup :D

Jess said...

Just catching up on your blog so of course I have to make a comment on every post! Yes, you MUST be a NICU nurse. I know you would be amazing at it. Those sick little babies need someone like you. I would have loved to have you care for my two little kiddos in the NICU. Regardless of what you chose, you will be amazing.