Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Trimester, Part 1

It's been said the nurses are Type A Personalities. They are planners. Not sure everything that is involved in the definition of Type A, but for sure I am a planner. With nursing school coming to an end, what a perfect time to start a family. Besides, most people don't get sick in pregnancy until around 8 wks, right? Well apparently, there are some really lucky people that get sick as early as 5 wks. Guess I'm really lucky. Actually I started feeling it at 4 wks. Morgan and I went to Girls Camp (we found out right before :D). Man, I was so tired that whole week and all I wanted to do was sleep. Then 5 wks hit and to the day I felt so crummy, but I was still able to eat come afternoon and evening time. 5 1/2 - 8 wks is the worst I've ever felt in my whole life. I felt like the movie Groundhog's Day where you wake up and it's the same thing all over again. The morning was the worst, but the day didn't seem to get too much better as it went on. It was frustrating because I was looking for new tips and tricks and couldn't seem to find any that worked. I could hardly eat anything, let alone keep it down. I was already taking additional B6 supplements, trying to eat frequently, saltines & soda weren't really doing it for me. I tried peppermint & ginger tea. Ewe. Never doing that again, so if anyone wants either of those - I have a box of each. The one thing I could eat - oranges. Morgan actually bought me a huge box of oranges from Costco. It made my day :D If I could stay in bed, I was pretty safe. I was getting good at keeping things down if I wasn't moving around too much and just stayed relaxed. But still, I wasn't eating very much. My midwife suggested Nux Vomica - homeopathic medicine. Not sure it really helped me, but I do think it somewhat calmed down my stomach somewhat. At 7 1/2 wks my midwife told me to schedule an appointment with my back-up OB. So glad I did. She gave me prescriptions for Zofran, Phenergan, and Medrol. I had lost weight and really looked terrible, so the steroid pack was supposed to help with that. It really has been helping, it has increased my appetite and I've been eating, really eating this week. Yesterday was the ultrasound - the absolute highlight of my week. Being in nursing school, we learn about how pregnancy should be and all the complications that go along with it. It was so exciting to see that the baby is doing good. The tech pointed out the fluttering heart. So amazing! I was smiling the whole drive home. I had just seen my little 1.66cm baby :D

I am just about done with my practicum. Night shift was definitely a blessing - I don't know if I would have finished in time if I had been on days and had to wake up in the early morning. In Mother Baby I have been learning so much and I feel like it's preparing me for my journey to be a Mother.

Countdown for school:
Practicum: About 3 shifts left to go
Class: 3 weeks left
I'm on the homestretch!!!

7 comments:

Deanna said...

You can do it Chelseymommy...hang in there!

Anonymous said...

HAHA!! ORANGES!!!! SICK!!! to this day when golden peels an orange in the kitchen, i leave the room. so weird!! made me think of high school and that time you dared me to eat an orange and i spit it out i think? spit it out like a 2 year old. haha!

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

way to go, the second trimester is awesome, it's seriously so heavenly- you are hungry and everything tastes so good and you get your energy back and you aren't sick and you are not completely uncomfortable and huge, just a cute little bump- it's magical...

The Huffman Clan said...

Congrats Chelsy! Soo Exciting!You are going to be an awesome mom! The second trimester is deffinatly easier than the first. But remember that every pregnancy is different so you cant expect the same things that your mom and friends expeirenced. I know rom expeirence that each one is different. My first was easy as pie, my second was not so easy! You will be great though! A baby is such a blessing....Being a mom is like no other!

Marci LeBaron Watson said...

That's really funny. My sister-in-law is pregnant and she was really sick during those weeks as well, and NOTHING satisfied her hungry, except oranges. Good thing I love oranges! YAY, you're pregnant!

Bethany said...

Yay for little Baby Ball!!!! So excited to meet this little one and so excited you are a Mom!!!

Evan and Amber said...

Hmmmmmmmmm zofran, phenergan, and medrol...sounds like you got hooked up chelsea. This is a little Happy Birthday from Norbys to Balls named Chelsea.
- Evan