Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To Breastfeed or not to breastfeed?

In society today, this seems to be a common question. Or maybe not so much now-a-days. Working in mother-baby has opened up my eyes in different ways and has made me very opinionated even though I have not yet experienced this for myself.

Hospitals are supposed to be pushing breastfeeding. While on the unit, the assistant nurse manager was talking about how this push is coming from the White House. Well, I'm not sure what that means exactly, because it seems like it would be better publicized if this were the case. However, I don't understand how the government expects this "push" to be effective while they continue to offer allow people to get free formula.

I found an article entitled Breastmilk is a Human Right. Here are some points I found:
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months
  • Artificial baby milk does not have adequate nutrients that are required for normal growth & brain development
  • Artificial baby milk can be contaminated from hormone & antibiotic residues, phyto-oestrogens, heavy metals, bacteria or toxic chemicals; outweighing the risk of breastmilk contamination
  • Breastmilk contains immunological & anti-infective properties and can be considered a first vaccination
There you have it, the best is the breast.

3 comments:

The Chamberlain Family said...

I totally agree!

Evan said...

I third your conclusion.

barb said...

No doubt about It! It's best in every way and convenient too! No warming bottles or carrying around formula every where you go. Breast fed babies are smarter too!(Morgan went 15 months!:D So I'm sure he would agree.)The list of benefits is long. It's also the best way to get your pre-baby body back!