Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wrapping up 6th Semester

Sixth semester of nursing school has definitely had its ups & downs. It's been more busy than challenging but I've still learned some big things. One of the most significant things I have learned from my psych class & rotation is the effects of stress on people. A lot of people seen in the psych units within hospital are there because of stress. That may seem kind of ridiculous to you. How can something like stress be the main cause of people in psych units. Well a big number of these patients have a history of substance abuse. Many people turn to substances as a way of dealing with stress, but ultimately this only makes it worse for the individual. Anxiety & stress is not necessarily a bad thing. In the beginning, it actually makes people more aware of their surroundings & even perform better & get lots done. Really, it all comes down to coping mechanisms. How do you cope with stress? Sometimes I go running. Sometimes I go crazy :D Effective coping mechanisms do not help you to escape from your problems, but rather help you to reduce the anxiety and deal with it. Meditation, relaxation, music, exercise. There are many many contributing factors that lead to mental illness, but a HUGE part is just coping with day to day stress and anxiety.

For my community clinical, we taught 6th graders this semester about nutrition, exercise, the heart, diabetes, digestion, muscles, etc. WOW they are so eager to learn. This had to be one of my most valuable clinicals. I love teaching, and this was a great way to get into teaching mode because this is what nurses should be doing constantly - patient teaching. 5 periods of 6th grade classes sure made me SO TIRED every week. I don't know how teachers do it.

Finals this week and then just one semester left to go. WISH ME LUCK!

No comments: