Thursday, November 10, 2011

Carly May



Carly May arrived on 11/9/11 at 3:03am weighing 6lb 2oz & 18 3/4 in long.

So Tuesday I finally got that burst of energy and I was cleaning like crazy. Disinfecting the kitchen, scrubbing floors (yes I was down on my hands & knees), cleaning the bathroom, etc. I cooked a delicious dinner, cleaned out the fridge, and did lots of dishes. I kept thinking I should take a nap, just in case. A couple of weeks ago my midwife told me that when I started nesting, take it easy & make sure to get rest. Oops. The truth is, obviously I didn't feel like it (and not like I would since I finally had a lot of energy lol).

I was in bed & doing some visualization - my midwife told me to take time every day to imagine what my birth experience would be like & keep everything positive. Not too long after my visualizing my birth, I got a contraction - not uncommon for me, but this one got a little stronger than normal. I felt a pop & a gush of fluid (10:40pm)! No way! I couldn't believe it! I yelled for Morgan & he got me a towel to make it to the bathroom. He couldn't believe my water had broken & said "Guess I'm not going to school tomorrow." Yeah, he was really disappointed :) Good thing we were super prepared & already had a shower curtain liner under our sheet just in case this sort of thing were to happen :)

I called my midwife & told her that my water broke and that I was going to try to get some sleep. She said try to sleep 4-5 hrs, but then she would be over to help get me into labor if needed since the water's broken & we're on a clock now, but to call if my contractions picked up. I called my mom & told her my water broke & she didn't believe me. She told me to stop joking around. After about a minute, she realized I wasn't joking & was screaming with excitement. After getting off the phone with her (around 11pm) I was trying to sleep & so was Morgan. I noticed the contractions felt a little more intense than usual so I started looking at my watch with each one. They were about 4-7 min apart and getting more intense & a lot more painful. Since I couldn't sleep anyway, I got up & called my midwife to give her an update (she didn't answer the first time 11:58pm, I figured she was sleeping so I waited a little & then called again at 12:19am). She said she would stop at the birth center to get a few things & then would be on her way over.

I was sitting on my birthing ball, but even that wasn't comfortable after a little while. I tried turning on the TV, kind of as a distraction, but couldn't even stand to have it on. I noticed the contractions were coming more frequently - every 3 minutes. And they HURT!! I felt better on my hands & knees and kneeling & leaning on my birthing ball. I kept asking Morgan if my midwife was here yet - I was feeling awful & really wanted her to check me & tell me where I was at. I was starting to feel more pressure & was unsure if I needed to go to the bathroom or if I was really that far along. I couldn't believe how uncomfortable I was - I decided to get back in bed since I was feeling so crummy. Just a couple minutes later my midwife arrived (about 2:00am). I updated her on the labor & she checked me. "wow, you are almost fully dilated & her head is right there. Morgan - start running the bath tub." Normally at these births there is a midwife & 2 other assistants (birthing assistants and/or midwife students), my midwife told me she wouldn't be able to get anyone else out here in time, so Morgan would be her helper :)

I got in the water and then started pushing around 2:30am. I'll be honest - I surprised myself with how much screaming went on. I really tried to breathe through as much of those contractions as I could to allow myself to stretch out and avoid tearing. Carly May arrived not too long after at 3:03am. She was put on my chest right away & had just a couple cries at the beginning - it actually made me nervous because I had to look to make sure she was still breathing. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Dark brown hair & little blue/gray eyes. I couldn't help but say "I did it." I couldn't believe this moment was finally here. 9 months of waiting & feeling crummy and I finally had my baby girl and it was all worth it, every second. I looked up at Morgan to see him smiling & looking at our new baby.

A little while after the placenta was out, Morgan cut the cord & then took baby while my midwife helped me get to my bed. Then I got my baby back while I got stitched up. Ouch. Thank goodness my husband is a dental student & has all the good stuff like topical anesthetic & lidocaine with epi (making it longer lasting & helping to control bleeding). Morgan was the perfect birth assistant! He was familiar with everything the midwife needed & was using and was able to assist perfectly.

Then I nursed baby for the first time & it went good. Baby got her newborn exam, but then she was getting cold so I got her back again :) After the midwife left, we tried to get some sleep. Morgan's never had trouble sleeping, but I was having a hard time. After feeding baby a couple more times, I was finally able to fall asleep for what I think was at least an hour or two. Baby slept for a long time too. My midwife came back to follow up on some paperwork & see how things were going. So far so good. Mom & baby are recovering well :)

I loved having a home birth. I loved that I didn't have to worry about packing everything up & loading it into the car. I loved that I could just be in a place I was comfortable to labor. I had everything I wanted & felt safe. I didn't have to worry about getting a nurse I wouldn't like or having to follow hospital policies or even having my baby taken from me for anything. I didn't have an IV or have to be hooked up to a fetal monitoring device or being confined to a bed for delivery. I especially loved that afterwards I could just get in my own bed. I didn't have to worry about getting in the car & driving home or even having to be in the hospital & potentially room with another mom & baby. I loved that I got to be in my bed with my husband & my new baby. It was perfect.

12 comments:

Evan and Amber said...

sounds perfect to me! Congrats you three! So exciting!

Joanie Harbor said...

that sounds awesome! wish my labor and delivery were like that. I am always a high risk pregnancy so I have to be monitored very closely, and I don't even think they will let me go into labor on my own this time. they are going to induce me, which i hate! lame. well, anyways congrats! glad everything went so well!!

Anonymous said...

I love that you blogged your entire pregnancy; how special. Our last two were also home-births (water births, too). It really was the right experience for us, and I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you too. Your little doll is such a beauty... Good job momma. :)

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

Oh Chels, that is so wonderful, I am so happy for you! Thank you thank you for posting the story, I have already told Damon I won't deliver another baby in a hospital so he better get used to it. I loved reading this. Way to go! You look amazing and happy. And I love the name Carly!

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

ps, did you use hypnobirthing or bradley method at all? i am trying to decide if next time around i want to take a class instead of just read the books...

Deanna said...

Totally made me cry! Love you.

lwilcox said...

I loved reading about your amazing experience! I am so glad it went so well and I'm very happy for you!!!!!

Catina Volkamn said...

Awe... that sounds so great! yes the pain is a shocker... had Ashley with no pain meds or IV ... I have to admit I thought natural birth was overrated...lol. But congratulations... there is nothing more special than your baby.

barb said...

Just wondering when the lady on your blog is going to have her baby, since she is still pregnant.:D Thanks for getting the story out to us right away!

Marci LeBaron Watson said...

I'm so happy for you! I loved hearing about your experience and I love the name you gave your baby! :)

Dave & Lavenia Gillespie said...

Wow! You are a trooper! Good for you! Congrats!!!!

Mandy said...

AMAZING story. I'm so glad she's here and healthy. You are so brave, Chelsey--how wonderful to have your baby girl with you at home, without distractions and interruptions. Savor this precious time with your sweet newborn!