Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Health and Fitness

This picture was taken on Sunday - when it was in the 50's here. Yes we are dressed super warm :)

I had a rough pregnancy but was lucky and didn't gain an excessive amount of weight - I was still able to wear all my regular clothes (including jeans). My labor & delivery was quick and after a few weeks I felt like I was just about back to my pre-pregnancy weight/body. Then I started gaining weight in places I never have before. It has been driving me crazy because now my wardrobe is more limited than when I was pregnant... I started running - really running - once we got home from christmas break. My knees have been suffering - it hurts really bad. That was actually the reason I stopped running not too long before getting preggo. I was training to do a half marathon but it was hurting my knees too much. I'm still keeping my new years goal of working out at least 3 times a week. This is the workout I started this week. So far, so good. This is a workout I can do during the day with Carly - she goes in the moby for the walk and I do the rest while she's napping. It's great because it's easier on my joints, I'm still sore, and I'm incorporating more muscles than just running alone. I'm definitely not saying that it's better than running - if I had my choice that's what I'd be doing. However, I love that I don't have to wait for Morgan to get home to do this (and I don't have to worry about pushing a stroller either).

I'm also trying to change the way I eat. I'm not doing an actual diet just yet, but rather I'm trying to incorporate healthier foods. I'm including more fruits and vegetables in my diet and trying to limit the carbs. I've been trying to eat small, frequent snacks instead of huge meals (which is how I have always had to eat in the past). I'm alternating between a fruit here, a vegetable there, salads, nuts, etc. If anyone has had success with a particular diet - let me know.

I'll see how it goes - I'm hoping I'll be able to button my jeans by the end of next week :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me after I had henry, how weird! I was at my pre-preg weight and body within the first week after I had him (I didn't gain much either), but when he was a couple months old i started to gain weight, i ended up gaining 10 lbs!!! It was the weirdest thing!! I've lost it all plus more by now, but I wonder if the weight gain is because of nursing? Good luck with everything! I think you look SO GREAT!

cHelsEy N mOrgAN said...

thanks em! i actually think my metabolism has changed because i have never been able to eat big meals & always had to snack pretty much all the time. now i don't feel like i have to snack & i can eat big meals... and now i've gained weight (almost as much as when i was preggo lol). yeah weird!

Marci LeBaron Watson said...

http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/shape-up-my-7-days-to-skinny-jeans-plan

I have not had a baby or anything, but I do come from a family that loves food so I've tried to really incorporate a healthy style of eating into my life. I found this quick fix. Although, you almost feel like you're eating like a mouse, so I add an extra snack to my day. But, this is a good diet to lean on. I don't really make the meals she has on there, but it helps to see the portion sizes she has for each meal.

cHelsEy N mOrgAN said...

hey thanks marci!!! checking it out right now :)

amanda said...

Can soooo relate! My friend (who was a nutritionist--so I don;t know if this is accurate) told me that there are only 3 times in a woman's life when she gains fat deposits: when she goes through puberty, when she's pregnant, and when she goes through menopause. I was shocked that after being pregnant I would gain & store all my weight in my stomach which has never been the case before. So frustrating! So now that I've located where my fat pockets are I can target them. Although you can spot train or whatever I can eat foods that are more friendly for the tummy area and do exercises that help too. I love my 30 day shred it, the treadmill challenge (http://ittybitsofbalance.com/2011/07/26/challenging-running-interval-treadmill-workout/), spin class, and the elliptical. I also do quite a bit of interval training which has given me the most success! I am one of those that have to change it up frequently though. Anyway, long answer, but I totally know how you feel.

kirsten and josh said...

can i please baby sit?

cHelsEy N mOrgAN said...

amanda thanks for your long answer :) no really it was good to hear what you do & what you've learned & thanks for the website! kirsten of course you can babysit!!! come on down to florida!! you can be my live in nanny....but i'm not sure how josh will like that...